With the first kickoff of the 2015 college football season still months away, we have to rely on rankings, team analysis, and hypotheticals to feed our addiction. The guys over at ESPN’s Big 12 Blog are pretty good at this, and they’ve been ranking the positions groups within the conference. With all the ranking out I thought it would be fun to look at how the Big 12 schools stack up to each other.
I charted out each position ranking in the table below. To find total offense, total defense, and team total I simply added each teams position ranks together, and lowest score won. There were a few ties in which case I gave the tie break to the team with the most 1st place finishes, 2nd place finishes, and so on until the tie was broken.
For the most part there aren’t many surprises. It is kind of interesting that for such a rudimentary way to rank teams overall, the outcome reflects most early polls. Baylor and TCU are a coin flip to win the league with Baylor having the slight edge, and Oklahoma State and the Sooners are right behind them looking to play spoiler.
There’s a lot going on here, so in no particular order, here’s some thought I had when looking over the position rankings
- I can’t wait to watch the re-rivalry between Baylor and TCU. That game will be insane.
- Oklahoma State has the best overall defense?
- This might not be a great year for Charlie Strong. If the Longhorns finish 8th in the league, you have to wonder just how much time he’ll have left in Austin.
- Texas Tech is a wild card. I like them to finish somewhere between 4th and 6th, but some have them finishing as low as 8th. So, it’s interesting that the position rankings have them fighting in the mid-tier group.
- Honestly 5th to 8th is a crap shoot with the total rankings only being separated by less than ten points.
- I feel like as the off-season wears on Oklahoma’s stock is rising.
- Poor Kansas
- This might be it for Paul Rhoads
|Total Offense||BU (8)||TCU (8)||TTU (15)||OU (16)||OSU (17)||WVU (26)||UT (28)||KSU (30)||ISU (33)||KU (39)|
|Total Defense||OSU (7)||WVU (11)||BU (11)||OU (12)||TCU (14)||UT (15)||KSU (16)||TTU (22)||KU (28)||ISU (29)|
|Team Total||BU (23)||TCU (23)||OSU (32)||OU (33)||WVU (40)||TTU (46)||KSU (48)||UT (49)||ISU (69)||KU (77)|