Kickers typically go ignored throughout the season. That is, up until they win or lose a game for you. On Saturday, Matthew Wyman stepped up in a big way for Kansas as he put two crucial field goals through the uprights to earn Kansas their first win over Texas since 1938. The first to take the game to overtime, the second to seal the deal.
The loss punctuates a disappointing season for the Longhorns, and on Saturday they looked like a defeated team. Sloppy play led to mistakes, mistakes Kansas was all too happy to take advantage of.
The Longhorns turned the ball over six times against Kansas, but two turnovers stand out: A pick six when Brandon Stewart intercepted Shane Buechele in the second quarter to pull the Jayhawks even with Texas at 7-7, and the pick in overtime to seal the Longhorn’s fate.
- The final drive by Kansas was masterful. With no timeouts coach Beaty got his team into field goal range, and on the hash mark favorable for his kicker with seven seconds to spare.
- Texas RB D’Onta Foreman continues to put up insane numbers. He finished with 51 carries for 250 yards and two touchdowns. Despite Texas’ disappointing season he should be up for some big awards.
- Freshman Texas QB Shane Buechele will have to grow from this game. He went 17 of 26 for 165 yards, which 65% passing isn’t bad, but threw three interceptions to just one touchdown pass.
- When you look at the box score, it was a pretty average performance by the Jayhawks. Nothing really jumps out. Quarterback Carter Stanley was just 21 of 42 for 220 yards, while running backs Ke’aun Kinner and Khalil Herbert totaled just 95 yards on the ground.
- Crazy stat: Texas earned 14 points off of Kansas’ two turnovers. The Jayhawks earned just 13 points off of the Longhorn’s six. And that’s including the overtime field goal following the pick, which not sure if that really counts as “points off turnovers”.
- The loss has no impact on Strong’s job. Mostly, because the decision to fire Strong seems to have already been made. This game just kind of put a final nail in the coffin from a fan perspective so to speak.
- Coach Strong is one helluva coach, and a better man. Texas should treat him as much, and if they are going to send him out, do it with the respect he deserves.
- At this point, I’m not sure if the Texas administration wants the Longhorns to make a bowl game or not. Although, the team will be plenty motivated.
- It’s great to see coach Beaty get a second win for this Kansas team.
What a way to send the seniors out for Kansas.
Kansas snaps 19-game Big12 losing streak; also snaps the goalposts in style https://t.co/qG22BvYYd5
— Pick Six Previews (@PickSixPreviews) November 20, 2016