Connect with us

2017 Season - Week 2

Week 2 Big 12 Betting Lines & Picks

Well last week was a bust. So, if you don’t like our picks this week, good news, they are probably wrong.

Getty Images - Ethan Miller

Week 2 Big 12 Betting Lines & Picks

Welp…Week one was not a great start to picks this year as we enter week two looking for our first win. We went 0-4 last week, although I did say to stay away from a couple of them. The good news is we know a bit more about these teams now, so let’s try this again.

Overall Record: 0-4

Before we get started though, and I cannot stress this enough, take these picks at your own risk. I am probably wrong. I could say that you would be better off taking the opposite side of these picks, but I’d probably be wrong about that too.

Oklahoma State at South Alabama

FRI, SEP 8, 7:00 PM CT
LINE: OSU – 28

The Cowboys had no problem covering the spread last week behind quarterback Mason Rudolph and his plethora of receivers. That should be concerning to a team that just gave up 429 passing yards and four touchdowns to Ole Miss. Pokes should cover as the Jaguars just don’t have the defense to slow the Pokes down. Take OSU laying the points.

Central Michigan at Kansas

SAT, SEP 9, 3:00 PM CT
LINE: KU -5.5

Central Michigan went into Stillwater a year ago and pulled off the upset. Albeit, it was a bit controversial. The Chippewas aren’t the same team from last year as they have lost quarterback Cooper Rush to the NFL, but they do return some skill position guys. The point is, Kansas, as improved as they are, aren’t close to the 10-win team OSU was last season and CMU plays well on the road. The Jayhawks might be a 5.5 point favorite, but this is really more of a toss-up game. We will learn more about just how high the ceiling is for this Jayhawks team this week, but until we do, I cannot put money on it. I like Kansas to win a close one, but give me the Chippewas and the points.

East Carolina at West Virginia

SAT, SEP 9, 11:00 AM CT
LINE: WVU -24

Week one didn’t go quite as the Mountaineer faithful had hoped it would, but there were bright spots. Justin Crawford tore it up on the ground, averaging 8.2 yards per carry while, once the rust shook off, quarterback Will Grier showed that he can spin it. The good news for WVU fans is this isn’t the same East Carolina team that Lincoln Riley helped coach under Ruffin McNeill. No, this ECU team got torched by James Madison, 34-14. The Pirates gave up 422 rushing yards. Crawford is going to have a field day. Take WVU and laugh all the way to the bank.

Charlotte at Kansas State

SAT, SEP 9, 11:00 AM CT
LINE: KSU -36.5

This is pretty simple. Kansas State beat Central Arkansas 55-19, and that’s after it took a quarter to get rid of the first-game jitters. For those that didn’t do the math, the Wildcats won by 36 points. So, the question is, is Central Arkansas better or worse than a Charlotte team that lost to Eastern Michigan last week 24-7. That may be oversimplifying things a bit, but you get the point. Take K-State.

Iowa at Iowa State

SAT, SEP 9, 11:00 AM CT
LINE: Iowa -2.5

This one is tough to call. The Cyclones look to be the most improved team in the Big 12 behind quarterback Jacob Park. However, Iowa State lost 9 games last year including a 42-3 defeat to you guessed it, Iowa. The Hawkeye’s have a solid defensive front and will put pressure on Cyclone’s offense, however, quarter play is a huge concern. Quarterback Nathan Stanley turned the ball over three times in their season opener against Wyoming. If Iowa State can force turnovers and can keep Park’s jersey clean, they won’t only beat the spread, they’ll win the game. Take the Cyclones.

UTSA at Baylor

SAT, SEP 9, 7:00 PM CT
LINE: BAY -17

Vegas saw the Bears get embarrassed by Liberty on Saturday, right? If they’re betting on Baylor bouncing back, I wouldn’t hold my breath. Of course we hope the Bears can bounce back, but what I saw on Saturday wasn’t a team that got beat because of silly mistakes and sloppy football. — Actually, I did see that. It just wasn’t the Baylor game. — I saw a Liberty team, a game that made Baylor the laughing-stock of non-conference scheduling, line up and beat Baylor in the trenches. Until I see something better out of Baylor, I can’t bet on them to win a game. Especially against a better opponent and by multiple scores. Take UTSA.

TCU at Arkansas

SAT, SEP 9, 7:00 PM CT
LINE: TCU -3

Arkansas opened this game as a 1 point favorite, but the line quickly moved to favor the Horned Frogs. A big reason for that is because TCU came out of the gates strong in week 1 by beating Jackson State 63-0. TCU certainly looked like they could be a dark horse in the conference this season, but while the Vegas money may be on the Frogs, mine is staying in my pocket in this one. I simply haven’t seen enough. Kenny Hill showed flashes, but he’s always had a high ceiling. His knock has been consistency, and that can’t be answered in one week. Not against a FCS school. If forced to make a pick, take TCU and pray.

Oklahoma at Ohio State

SAT, SEP 9, 7:30 PM CT
LINE: OSU -7.5

I don’t like betting on high-profile games. There’s so much at stake, they are so over analysed, there is typically much better value on the board. The Sooners will be motivated to avenge the embarrassing loss from last year, but the reality is, the Sooners still don’t know who will step up at the skill positions in clutch situations. Speaking of skill positions, the Ohio State receiving corps abused the Oklahoma secondary last year, and that unit took a hit this week with the loss of Jordan Parker. Not to mention, if you’re asking me to take a coach in his second game ever versus one for the best coaches in college football playing at home, I have to go with the experience. Sooners keep is close for a while, but Ohio State will pull away late. Take the Buckeyes.

Comments