Connect with us

2017 Season - Week 3

Week 3 Big 12 Betting Lines & Picks

At 6-2, week two was money! Hopefully we can keep it rolling this week. Here are our week three Big 12 picks against the spread.

Getty Images - Ethan Miller

Week 3 Big 12 Betting Lines & Picks

Week one was a rough start to the season, to put it mildly. However, in week two I was dialed in and made up the lost ground in one fell swoop. We enter this week with a fresh slate, momentum on our side, and a better understanding of the Big 12 conference. Let’s go. Here are week three’s picks.

LAST WEEK: 6-2
OVERALL RECORD: 6-6

Before we get started, and I cannot stress this enough, take these picks at your own risk. I am probably wrong. I could say that you would be better off taking the opposite side of these picks, but I’d probably be wrong about that too.

Iowa State at Akron

SAT, SEP 16, 11:00 AM CT
LINE: ISU -10

Both Iowa State and Akron enter this week 1-1 on the season, but this is a game where the Cyclones need to show that they have taken the next step. Especially after a tough overtime loss to in-state rival Iowa. I expect coach Matt Campbell to have his team focused and Iowa State to bounce back. Quarterback Jacob Park and receiver Allen Lazard will be the difference makers in this one. I like the Cyclones to win by a couple of scores, so take Iowa State and lay the points.

The Pick: Iowa State -10

#9 Oklahoma State at Pitt

SAT, SEP 16, 11:00 AM CT
LINE: OSU -13.5

While Pitt will be the Cowboys biggest preseason test, the Panthers are coming off a tough loss to rival Penn State. Pitt will have to bounce back in a hurry as perhaps the nation’s best offense comes to town. This game was close a year ago in Stillwater, but don’t look for that to play out again this year. The Nittany Lions put up just 312 yards of total offense against Pitt, but managed to win by 19 points. I like OSU to win this game by at least two touchdowns.

The Pick: OSU -13.5

Kansas at Ohio

SAT, SEP 16, 11:00 AM CT
LINE: Ohio -7.5

This game is a tough call. There was a lot of hope around KU to finally show some improvement in the win-loss column, but the loss to Central Michigan last week was a stark reminder that Kansas is not going to turn it around over night. This is also the Jayhawks first road game and last year they struggled away from home. With that said, I’m going to go out on a limb. KU simply doesn’t have many opportunities to get a win left on the schedule, and if this team is improved from a year ago, they need the can bounce back after a loss. I don’t know if they will get the win, but I like the Jayhawks to at least keep it close.

The Pick: KU +7.5

Baylor at Duke

SAT, SEP 16, 11:30 AM CT
LINE: Duke -14

Vegas might have put out the line of the decade last week in the Baylor-UTSA game. Baylor had no business being a favorite, let alone a 17-point favorite. You would think the odds-makers would have learned their lesson, but it looks like the outside college football world is not convinced that the Bears might just be this bad. Duke is 2-0 coming into this game, and are coming off a 41-17 win over Northwestern. I have no idea how this line is just 14, I’m tempted to put my mortgage on it. Take Duke.

The Pick: Duke -14

SMU at #20 TCU

SAT, SEP 16, 2:30 PM CT
LINE: TCU -19

Though the Horned Frogs have looked impressive early, they are in an awkward spot this week in the Battle for the Iron Skillet. TCU is coming off a big win against Arkansas on Saturday, and SMU is a team that shouldn’t be underestimated. One, it’s a rivalry game and anything can happen. Two, the Mustangs are averaging 52 points a game and if TCU isn’t careful, could pull off the upset. Ultimately, I expect more of the same out of TCU in this one. I expect Kenny Hill’s play to continue to be up and down and for the Horned Frogs to get the win behind an overall better depth chart. But, I expect it to be close as TCU takes a couple of quarters to shake the hangover off. Take SMU and the points as the Mustangs will give them their best punch.

The Pick: SMU +19

Tulane at #2 Oklahoma

SAT, SEP 16, 5:00 PM CT
LINE: OU -34

These two teams enter this game on opposite sides of the spectrum. The Sooners are coming in off their big win over the Buckeyes, while Tulane lost a close game to Navy. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Sooners struggle a bit in this one as they try to sleep off their hangover. We all saw the celebration at midfield, OU wouldn’t be the first team to come out flat after a big win. It’s always a crapshoot picking against a team as lethal as OU, but take Tulane and the points in this one and cross your fingers.

The Pick: TUL +34

#18 Kansas State at Vanderbilt

SAT, SEP 16, 6:30 PM CT
LINE: KSU -4

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have garnered most of the attention out of the Big 12 this season while K-State has been flying under the radar. The Wildcats were a preseason Big 12 contender for a reason though, and they have given us no reason to think that isn’t the case. If anything, quarterback Jess Ertz’s level of play has been a pleasant surprise. Not only will he run through a brick wall if he has to, he ranks in the top 10 in QB efficiency. Vandy has looked decent so far this season against nobody and nobody, but the Wildcats are about to have a coming out party. Take K-State.

The Pick: KSU -4

Arizona State at Texas Tech

SAT, SEP 16, 7:00 PM CT
LINE: TTU -7.5

If you had told me before the season that the Red Raiders would enter this game more than a touchdown favorite, I would have been distraught. Because clearly the Arizona State team bus had crashed on the way to the game. That’s my way of saying I didn’t have high hopes for Texas Tech this season. However, they did their best to prove me wrong in week one. Nic Shimonek played lights out, and the defense showed signs of waking from their coma. The Red Raiders didn’t play last week, but Arizona State probably wishes they hadn’t. Through two games the Sun Devils have looked awful. They gave up 31 points to New Mexico State in a game they barely won, and then gave up 30 points to SDSU in a loss last week. Tech had an extra week to prepare and may hang 60 on them. Take Tech.

The Pick: TTU -7.5

Texas at #4 USC

SAT, SEP 16, 7:30 PM CT
LINE: USC -16.5

What to make of Texas. When the nation was paying attention, they looked awful losing to Maryland at home. When no one was looking, they crushed SJSU 56-0. This game is a tough call. USC is coming off a big win against #14 Stanford on Saturday, which could play into the Longhorn’s favor.  Not to mention, Texas’ loss to Maryland was largely self-inflicted. If they clean up the mistakes, who knows how good they can be. However, the biggest question mark will be who is under center for Texas. Buechele is healthy again, but Ehlinger provides a skill set better suited for Tom Herman’s system. USC will have to prepare for both. The Trojans will get the win behind QB Sam Darnold, but I’m going to make a very bold prediction and say Texas keeps it close. I’m taking Texas and the points, but I won’t fault you if you don’t take my lead.

The Pick: Texas +16.5