It’s finally here! Every game on the schedule is a conference game, and there should be some very competitive ones this week.
A quick note about the Watchability Rating: It is intended to be a quick guide to how interesting the game would be to the average Big 12 fan. Obviously, if your team is involved, you will probably want to watch the game. The rating can also be affected by how difficult it is to find the game, both by channel selection and timing of the game. Being on an obscure channel or in a crowded or extreme time slot will normally knock the rating down a slot.
Just like last week, two of this week’s games are on ESPN’s streaming network, ESPN+. More and more games will only be available via ESPN+. This is especially true with the new Big 12 network, Big 12 Now, being a part of ESPN+.
If you’re thinking about signing up, go here to here check out a free trial. This is the super exciting part for us. We’ve partnered with ESPN+. So, when you use our link, not only do you get to watch your favorite team’s game, but you also help support the LGG. Plus you get the Big 12 Now network and things like the Miles to Go miniseries. As Michael Scott would say, it’s a win, win, win! So go check it out.
- 📺📺📺📺📺 – Drop Everything. This game is must-watch television. Whether you have to stream it on your phone because you’re stuck at the mall with your significant other, or you kick everyone out of the room so that they stop walking in front of the TV, make sure that you don’t miss a second of this game.
- 📺📺📺📺 – This is primary viewing and should be the main game that you watch during this time slot. It will be entertaining to anyone who turns it on. Feel free to flip around to check on other games during commercials or timeouts. Just make sure you come back quickly.
- 📺📺📺 – Make sure you have another screen to follow this one, whether it’s a second television or streaming on a laptop or your phone. You’ll want to be able to look over quickly for big plays.
- 📺📺 – It’s worth keeping track, but don’t feel the need to pay close attention. If the current game gets out of hand, this one might be interesting, so check to see if you have a way to turn it on, especially during commercials.
- 📺 – Don’t bother trying to watch this one. It will be a blowout or really ugly. You can find out what happened later without subjecting yourself to this.
Kansas vs TCU
When: SAT, SEP 28 at 11:00 AM CT
TV: FS1 | Stream: Fox Sports Go
I realize this rating is going to make people question how “impartial” the ratings are, but hear me out. Looking through the slate at 11, all the other games are extremely non-competitive. The lone exception is BYU-Toledo, which I doubt most Big 12 fans will care about. This one may turn out to be ugly in the end, but it at least is intriguing. TCU lost a tough game last week and is looking to bounce back with a statement. Kansas looks better than anyone hoped or expected at this point in the season. Tune in for the possibilities.
Texas Tech vs #6 Oklahoma
When: SAT, SEP 28 at 11:00 AM CT
TV: FOX | Stream: Fox Sports Go
This is theoretically is the first real test for the Oklahoma defense. The loss of Alan Bowman for Texas Tech might keep us from gleaning any useful information from this game. I don’t expect this game to be entertaining for anyone except OU fans, but it’s at least on par with all the other “big team” action in this time slot.
Iowa State vs Baylor
When: SAT, SEP 28 at 2:30 PM CT
TV: ESPN | Stream: WatchESPN
Yes, Virginia-Notre Dame and USC-Washington are in this slot. Yes, big names are in conference play. But this game has something that none of the others do: hatred. Both these teams HATE each other after what happened last year. Even if this ends in a blowout, there will be nasty hits and a lot of jawing back and forth. All that equals entertaining football.
#24 Kansas State vs Oklahoma State
When: SAT, SEP 28 at 6:00 PM CT
The rating here is strange, since this is probably going to be the most competitive and entertaining game of the Big 12 slate. But both being online only and having so many other good national matchups means that this game is going to be harder to justify devoting a lot of time to. It should be fun, so make sure to get whenever it makes sense.